ATTENTION NEW REO VENDORS

Tuesday, January 5

Property Preservation Business Owner Operators: Evolve or Die...

As some of you may know, our Property Preservation repair business currently does $2+ million worth of Property Preservation repair work each year. Our office/ management work is efficiently taken care of by 1 full time and 2 part time employees and then we outsource 100% of all the actual repair work to our network of subcontractors.

This is not the management system I initially started out with. Like most small construction businesses, I was wearing several hats - hell, when I first started I wore ALL the hats: owner-operator/ accountant/ inspector/ estimator/ contractor/ subcontractor liaison/ babysitter/ etc. Many years later, I realize that type of business management where the owner does everything, is a recipe for failure.



Out of necessity and desperation, my business has evolved into something that I never would have expected. To this day, I have not figured out any easier or better way to manage this operation with as much efficiency. And just a quick FYI. My subcontractors get paid more than 90% of their peers within each of their respective businesses.

My philosophy is that business owners ABSOLUTELY MUST pay a person enough so that they can support a family, rent or mortgage, insurance, and recreation. Just to give you an idea, a couple years ago when I was running my own crew, I paid my unskilled helper $22.00 per hour and he was simply an unskilled laborer with an automobile and no tools (well actually he had a cordless drill that I gave him). But he was great at what he did and he ALWAYS showed up.

In fact, ALL of my subcontractors are GREAT at what they do. Here's a little secret. Most people are only moving at 20-30% of their full speed and if you can find a way to motivate them and also pay them quickly, their output will be the same as if you hired 3 regular guys. I'm not kidding, either.

In order to be able to pay people 'above average' wages and fees, you absolutely must know how to estimate repairs correctly. When I first started in the Property Preservation industry 6 years ago, I was asked by the vendor manager of my first client, "what estimating software do you currently use?". I told the person, "I don't use any software". As I look back, I am surprised that they even called me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATTENTION VISITORS:
Thank you for taking the time to read my stuff. I want you to know that I gladly accept and appreciate any and all comments that you may have and that add value to the article. Also, if you have any questions you would like help answering that are related to this blog post or property preservation in general, I would be more than happy to answer those, as well. In fact I created this blog for people like you. So thank you again and please know that I appreciate you!